Now accepting applications for our summer internship program
As an intern at the Angus Reid Institute (ARI), you’ll gain hands-on experience working at Canada’s national, not-for-profit, non-partisan public opinion research organization.
During the four-month program, you will be a Swiss army knife in a nimble shop; researching, writing news stories and reports under deadline for our website and for public release, drafting surveys, and supporting team members in the many tasks required to keep ARI running smoothly.
To excel here, you’ll have excellent writing skills, and be able to produce fast and accurate copy to deadline.
You will also be called upon to create and improve web content related to Canadian and international public opinion polling. You will file to the Angus Reid Institute website selecting and editing images, creating graphs/infographics, and writing headlines.
It’s great if you have experience with WordPress and some basic HTML/CCS ability, otherwise, you’ll learn while you’re here. Additionally, the right fit for us is someone alive to SEO, who knows how to create and display content on multiple platforms in a way that maximizes audience and engagement.
You’re well-versed in Canadian and international political, social and economic trends. You have an understanding of research and polling methodology and process. You aren’t necessarily a research expert, but you’re willing to learn.
You will be available from May to August and work full time out of our Vancouver office.
If you’re a self-starter who takes initiative and doesn’t wait around to be assigned, we want to hear from you. Also, you need to be someone who plays nicely in a team.
- Researching policy options
- Writing content
- Editing, writing for the web
- Creating graphs, charts and basic infographics
- Programming surveys
- Being aware of and alive to socio-economic and political trends in Canada and around the world
- Generating story ideas
- Working with the ARI team to enhance online engagement and interaction
- Learning and applying SEO techniques and best practices and incorporating them into written content
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum three years of complete undergraduate work towards a Journalism, Sociology, Economics or Political Science degree.
- Ability to handle heavy writing workload under tight deadlines
- Superb writing skills
- Research skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- High attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills and team player
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to quickly adjust priorities to respond to pressing demands
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with social media platforms and knowledge of how to maximize exposure and engagement
- Experience with content management, digital and social media platforms and tools would be an asset
- French language skills would be an asset
- WordPress/HTML/CCS skills would be an asset
Qualified candidates should apply immediately with cover letter and CV to: email@example.com